Thursday 21 February 2013

Review: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

Title: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
Author: Jesse Andrews
Publisher: Harry N. Abrams
Publication Date: 01/03/2012
Book Description: Greg Gaines is the last master of high school espionage, able to disappear at will into any social environment. He has only one friend, Earl, and together they spend their time making movies, their own incomprehensible versions of Coppola and Herzog cult classics.

Until Greg’s mother forces him to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel.

Rachel has been diagnosed with leukemia—-cue extreme adolescent awkwardness—-but a parental mandate has been issued and must be obeyed. When Rachel stops treatment, Greg and Earl decide the thing to do is to make a film for her, which turns into the Worst Film Ever Made and becomes a turning point in each of their lives.

And all at once Greg must abandon invisibility and stand in the spotlight.


Review:  Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is without a doubt one of the most funniest books I have ever had the pleasure of reading. You would be surprised since its called Me and Earl and the Dying Girl but this book is not all about dying. If you are one of those people who don’t enjoy reading “dying books” then you can still enjoy this book.

What I liked: Ahhh where to begin. The first thing that gripped me was the cover. So.. Colorful! The inside of the book was also formatted nicely and looked really cool.  It definitely stands out on my book shelf.
I also adored the characters! The book is written by the male protagonist Greg Gaines as he tells his own story about his own experience. I really enjoyed this writing as style as we got to see all of Greg’s thoughts and got to know his unique but hilarious personality first hand. Although Andrews didn’t create a handsome sexy male protagonist I still found myself really caring for Greg a lot. I really felt empathy for his character. His “best friend” Earl Jackson was equally as obscenely hilarious. I loved the two contrasting personalities between him and Greg. I loved how the book didn’t hold back on the crude language. We really did get to experience everything these two young boys said and did.. It was entertaining to say the least.
So that brings me onto the aspect I loved the most which was the humor. You may be thinking .. Why? Didn’t you enjoy the actual plot more? To be truthfully honest the plot wasn’t all that amazing. Neither was it meant to be. Like I mentioned before the book is written by the protagonist Greg Gaines and he says himself he is not a writer. He just wanted to tell his story. His brutally honest personality and awkwardness was really refreshing to read. The emotions in which Greg and Earl felt, particularly towards the end of the book felt so raw. I feel like this is a book anyone could enjoy.

What I didn’t like: There is nothing I disliked about the book. Nothing! Only suggestion would be give us more! The book ended way to quickly for me I just wanted more
(*´▽`*)  (write a sequel please Jesse Andrews thank you love you)

So to conclude… read this book! READ IT. I have not ever seen this on book blog before so it would be interesting to see others opinions on it. You honestly won’t regret it!

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment